Braising Steak in Pale Ale
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 2 hours
For 4 people
1 Medium Onion
800g of braising steak sliced or cubed as preferred
200 ml of beef stock
200 ml of Pale Ale (Leffe Belgium Blonde Beer is great for this)
2tsp of cornflour
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp Oil for frying
1) Fry the onion for 2 minutes in a frying pan with the oil
2) Add the braising steak and fry for another minute to seal in the flavour of the meat
3) Sprinkle the 2 tsp of cornflour and mix well with juices from the meat, onions and oil.
4) Place either in a casserole dish or slow cooker
5) Add the stock (can be a beef stock cubes dissolved in 200 ml of hot water)
6) Add the Pale Ale & stir well
8) Cook in a conventional oven at 180ºc for approximately 2 hours until the steak in tender or a slow cooking using manufacturers instructions.
Great with Roast or new potatoes, vegetables and Yorkshire Puddings.
Tips: You can also add vegetables such as celery, carrots and mushrooms to the casserole to save time later.